PConstruction Intelligence Center (CIC) is currently tracking airport construction projects in Europe with a total value of US$151.2 billion. Of this, US$69.5 billion is in the execution stage and US$57.1 billion is in the planning stage. Turkey accounts for the highest value with US$39.8 billion, followed by the UK with projects valuing US$23.5 billion. Poland and Germany follow with airport construction projects with values of US$19.1 billion and US$11.6 billion respectively. The highest value project in Europe is US$36.4 billion Istanbul New Airport, which is 40km away from the center of Istanbul.
Europe is a mature market for air transport, with slow growth and activity based on upgrading or expanding existing airport facilities. The Airport Council International Europe (ACI-Europe) registered passenger traffic of 2.6 billons through Europe’s airports in 2017, and it is forecast that there will be a 53% growth in flight movements up to 2040. The top five European airports in 2018 by passenger traffic were London (LHR) with 80.1 million, Paris (CDG) with 72.2 million, Amsterdam (AMS) with 71.0 million, Frankfurt (FRA) with 69.5 million and Istanbul (IST) with 68.2 million. London has the second-highest international passenger traffic after Dubai International Airport.
The forecast for growth in flight movements of 53% up to 2040 will result in 16.2 million flights that year, which is 1.9% average annual growth per year over the 2017-2040 period- a slower growth rate than before 2008 when the economic crisis began.
– The total pipeline of projects is valued at US$151.2 billion with US$10.0 billion being spent in 2019 and US$14.8 billion in 2020.
– The highest value projects are at the execution stage with a total value of US$69.5 billion, followed by projects in planning with US$57.2 billion.
– Projects in the pre-execution stage amount to US$14.5 billion, while those at the pre-planning stage total US$10.0 billion.
– Assuming all projects in the current pipeline proceed as planned, spending will reach US$18.5 billion in 2021 and fall to US$16.7 billion in 2023. The highest value of project completions will be in 2023, with a value of US$15.2 billion.
– The top contractors in the region are Cengiz Insaat / MAPA / Limak Holding / Kalyon Construction / Kolin Insaat JV working jointly on the Istanbul New Airport. The top consulting engineers are Quadrante Engenharia, based in Portugal, and Dorsch International Consultants GmbH, headquartered in Germany.
– The report provides analysis based on CIC projects showing total project values for Europe and analysis by stage and funding for the top ten countries. The top 50 projects are listed for the region giving the country, stage, the value of airport construction.
– Ranked listings of the key operators for the sector are also provided showing the leading contractors, consulting engineers and project owners. Country profiles are provided for the top 10 countries including Turkey, the UK, and Poland.
Reasons to buy:
– Gain insight into the development of the airport construction sector.
– Assess all major projects by value, start date, scope and stage of development for the region and top 10 countries to support business development activities.
– Plan campaigns by country based on specific project opportunities and align resources to the most attractive markets.